What I love about assembling words is the learning that accompanies the process. What I enjoy about refining sentences is how a message can be clarified and its impact amplified. Each action requires diligence, respectfulness, and a responsible approach.
I have worked in the publishing field since 2002, undertaking editorial work in Singapore and Australia in various contexts. The bulk of my work has related to design and architecture.
I studied architecture at the University of Western Australia (Bachelor of Environmental Design) and interior architecture at Curtin University of Technology (Bachelor of Arts [Interior Architecture][Hons1]). I have also lectured (full-time) and tutored at the latter institution’s Department of Architecture and Interior Architecture in Perth.
In the publishing world, I have worked for:
- an\b editions (Singapore) – editor of the books Upcycle! (2012), Interior Pop! (2011), and Cardboard Book (2010)
- Architecture Media (Melbourne) – joint editor of the Architects Handbook and assistant editor of Architecture Australia and Houses magazines
- Concepts Asia Publishing (Singapore) – sub-editor (remote) of Cubes magazine
- Page One Publishing (Singapore) – joint editor of the books Designed Life: Houses, Designed Life: Apartments; Hip Entertaining: Bars and Restaurants, and Style Shopping: Shops and Showrooms. Sub-editor of Ish magazine and other books
- red dot (Singapore) – copyeditor (freelance) for red dot design concept yearbook (2006/07–2012/13)
As a freelance and staff writer, I have had my work published in the following magazines and websites: Architectural Design Research (AU), Architecture Australia (AU), ArtAsiaPacific (HK), Artichoke (AU), CITYGREEN (SG), Creative Capital (AU), Cubes (SG), d+a (SG), dx-london.com (UK), FORM Magazine (AU), Habitus (AU), habitusliving.com (AU), Houses (AU), Houses Kitchens and Bathrooms (AU), IC (Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Australia – Perth) (AU), Indesign (AU),indesignlive.asia (SG), indesignlive.com (AU), (inside) (AU), Insite (AU), Interior (Taiwan), Ish (SG), Landscape Architecture Australia (AU), Monument (AU), Perth Woman (AU), Singapore Architect (SG), and The Architect’s Journal (UK). I have also been published in catalogues produced by Form (AU).
I am an Australian who lives in Singapore and flies south whenever the chance arises.
Read a little more about me (and Cardboard Book) at Habitus Living’s ‘Design Hunter Profile’, here (pictured below): http://www.habitusliving.com/connect/connect-free/design-hunter-profile-narelle-yabuka